FIVE BEST ATHLETES I COVERED IN DETROIT
- Barry Sanders: Even rooms full of professional writers could not describe his runs.
- Isiah Thomas: He was all about bringing championships to Detroit.
- Steve Yzerman: Low key and unspectacular, but he got the job done.
- Justin Verlander: A no-hitter waiting to happen.
- Nick Lidstrom: You really had to watch closely to appreciate his greatness.
- Mexican Olympic Basketball team: Former Piston Mark Aguirre was invited to play for Mexico but decline.
- Calvin Johnson to retire: Others want to take credit.
- Dennis Rodman demands a trade: The former Piston told me over Coney dogs and fries at the Birmingham Leo’s.
- White teammate calls former Lion Louis Delmas the N-word: I caught hell for this one.
- Romanian soccer player Gheorghe Hagi has no toe nails: Broke that one during the 1994 World Cup.
FIVE BEST ENCOUNTERS WITH NON DETROIT SPORTS FIGURES
- Charles Barkley: We had a long conversation about race and America. It was fun.
- Shaquille O’Neal: He was the only athlete who asked about my family and how work was treating me.
- Brett Farve: We drank beers and chatted for a couple hours prior to Super Bowl XXXII in San Diego.
- Donald Sterling: Court side chat at the LA Coliseum before finding out the old Clippers owner was scum
- Rickey Williams: Owner of a New York night club said to keep his shy buddy company.
FIVE FAVORITE NBA STOPS
- New York: A great walking city. The only bad part was the Knicks.
- Chicago: The Miracle Mile and Gino’s Pizza were must stops.
- Los Angeles: I hated the traffic but loved staying in Marina Del Rey.
- Seattle: Public Market, great sea food and a beautiful city.
- Portland: A surprise. Loved the food and people.
FIVE FAVORITE DETROIT AREA RESTAURANTS
- Prime and Proper (Detroit): My steak melted in my mouth and was filled with flavor.
- Bravos! Italian Kitchen: My kids love the place. So I love it.
- Buddy’s Pizza: A great spot to socialize. And I like the pizza.
- Slow’s Barbeque: The Yard Bird is my sandwich of choice.
- Side Track: The burgers and onion rings are beyond great.
FIVE FAVORITE BIG TEN STOPS
- Wisconsin: On game day people place beers in your hand whether you want it or not.
- Ohio State: Buckeyes don’t know how to act but High Street is cool.
- Penn State: We used to meet with Joe Paterno over drinks Friday nights.
- Minnesota: It is a lively campus inside a lively town.
- Nebraska: Cornhuskers are party animals.
FIVE REASONS WHY MIGHIGAN IS BETTER THAN MICHIGAN STATE
- The winged helmets: The best helmet design in college football
- Zingerman’s Deli: Great sandwiches. Love the outdoor patio.
- Bo Schembechler: He’s gone, but his legend will never die.
- Michigan Stadium: Any place that seats 100,000 people is fine by me.
- The Victors: Might be the best fight song in America.
FIVE REASONS WHY MICHIGAN STATE IS BETTER THAN MICHIGAN
- Tom Izzo: A fighter who keeps MSU basketball on the map.
- The Izzone: Students stand up for what they believe in
- Mark Dantonio: He brought intensity to an already tense rivalry.
- Magic Johnson: He gives the school street cred.
- The fans: They are often paranoid but they sure know how to party.
FIVE THINGS I DON’T MISS DURING MY CHILDHOOD
- Caster Oil: I’d rather eat mud. But I was never constipated.
- Cod liver oil: Now this bad tasting oil comes in pills. I was not so lucky.
- Liver and onions: I hate liver, but granny was nice and let me put ketchup on it.
- The switch: Why do you have to pick out your own stick for an ass whuppin?
- Getting robbed: Damn. I worked hard for my 50 cent pocket change.
Find Terry Foster Podcast here: